My First Period

Our first blog series: The stories of our first periods

I started my period when I was 10 years old. My mom never talked to me about what a period was or why I bleed in the first place. I was only told what to do when I bleed. I used the same product that mom used, which were pretty thick maxi pads. I was taught that this was a discreet thing, that no one needed to know that I was on my period. So, if I started my period away from home, it was a nightmare. I was so afraid to tell the adult I was with, I didn't tell my sisters, I didn't know how to take my pad to the restroom with out someone noticing. I would spend weekends bleeding through toilet paper and underwear because I was so afraid to ask someone for help. I couldn't tell anyone about the cramps, then they would know I was on my period. It was a dirty secret and I had NEVER heard anyone talk about periods except my mom and that awful video we had to watch in 5th grade. 


I remember a girl being in the bathroom at school and she heard the wrapping paper from my pad. I was mortified, she started snickering and asked if I had started my period and if I knew what it meant. She told the whole class...

One of my friends who was a boy stopped talking to me. Kids literally scooted away from me. The girl thought that starting your period meant you had to have sex. I didn't even know why I had my period! How could I have explained myself? I didn't have the knowledge or the voice to defend myself. 

- Shannie J.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arkansas Period Action Day: Closing Speech 2022

Who are we?